"Now is the most exciting time in fashion. Women are controlling their destiny now, the consumer is more knowledgable, and I have to be better every single day." -Oscar de la Renta
if i have learned anything in this city its that networking is seriously the most important thing. Ever. Period.
Point in case: Casey Breese is a freshman in SigEp (a fraternity at school) and randomly wrote me on facebook to tell me that his cousin is the VP of Merchandising for OSCAR de la RENTA
[[sidenote: Oscar de la Renta is one of the very top fashion designers in the world and has been for decades. His gowns are ALL over the red carpet and are very very high quality pieces]]
Because he is the most amazing perfect thoughtful sweet nice amazing friend i've met (plus future husband lol its an inside joke), he sent his cousin all of my information, and after a little correspondence I had the absolute amazing pleasure of meeting with her in PERSON! She took time out of her busy day (she makes very important merchandising decisions for the brand and always has a million things to do, i'm sure) to meet with me and give me some tips and pointers. She shared her story of how she began in the industry and answered some questions for me. I walked out of there with so much information to digest and such an inspiration to keep going, it was great.
And it only gets better! After talking with her I started to see where my priorities lie in the sense of which direction I should go in the industry. I notice that what I enjoy is PR and lucky enough, Melissa (the woman I met with) noticed from what I was saying that PR could possibly be the road for me...so much so that she called the woman in CHARGE of the PR dept. down to meet with me and talk to me!! It was so great! She asked me questions like...
do i have twitter? ....yeah! love it!
am i active? embarrassingly too much
who do i follow?
do i enjoy blogs? uhh chyeah
which ones do i read? i was so glad she asked me these questions because this is something i actually do in my free time. all this time spent on blogspot is actually for the best!
We exchanged information and then the next day I left thank you cards for them...pretty exciting huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment