"ole oleee ole oleee....im feeling hot hot hot. feeling hot hot hot" -Buster PoindexterFor those of you who don't watch the news, New York City experienced a crazy heat wave from July 5ish-July8ish...around there. I didn't realize it was a big deal to all other cities but I heard that St Louis news channels were broadcasting the information about what was going on...I got quite a few nervous texts and phonecalls from friends and family (due to the fact that I lived in no airconditioning)...so thanks to all who were concerned :)
But really I guess things were a lot worse here than I knew/expected. ConEdison Energy Co couldnt handle the overwhelming power supply from everyone a. staying entirely indoors and b. blasting the air conditioning so all of the city people had to take little precautions. My dorm had to shut off the laundry machines and all but 1 elevator, for instance. A lot of people still lost power and sadly some elderly people were horribly effected by the weather. The heat broke a ton of records supposedly and let me speak from experience that it seriously was the HOTTEST weather I have ever experienced...and my room, naturally, was hotter than it was outside. It was miserable. I tried going to different bookstores or cafes to cool off but they were packed. Barnes and Noble had people covering all of the floor pretty much just trying to get inside. Local pools were filled to maximum capacity within hours supposedly too. It was just so crazy.
I handled the heat wave in 2 ways:
1. Enjoying the presence of the locals in my new fav bar, Off the Wagon!
Off the Wagon is this small bar in my neighborhood that has crazy cheap, boogie-like drink specials (ohhh how ive missed my dollar beers) and really really nice people. Everyones college age and you dont have to be dressed to the nines to go in, which makes me feel like home. I can wear a teeshirt and shorts or a dress and heels. The best part of the place? upstairs they ALWAYS have 2 beer pong games going at the same time. SO fun, right? I cant wait to take Emma here when she comes in town, she'll love it! :)
ANYWAY my roomie Dora and I came up with this brilliant plan to go out and get some drinks so that when we went back to our room we would INSTANTLY fall asleep due to our alcohol consumption.
this, friends, was the worst. idea. in. history.
we got back to our 100 degree room and not only were not trying to sleep in the heat, but we also felt so sick. we combatted this we the best. idea. in. history. We knew that the 2nd floor of our building, being the common floor with a tv, couches, pool table, dance room, piano room, theater, etc, was the only floor of the building with AC. so we walked our pretty butts down 12 floors and crashed there on a couple couches. it was cold, comfy and we fell right asleep. Score right?
wrong. everyone else in the building soon had the same idea and the next night the floor was COVERED wall to wall with people trying to find refuge from the heat. it was actually kind of funny. people were sleeping on desks, window ledges, pool table, the piano, two chairs pushed together lol...how RIDICULOUS?! ya know? like were in 2010 why dont you do something about that? ...stupid. but whatever.
2. SWITCH DORM ROOMS!
It was a lot easier than I thought and slightly meant to be, really. My friend Cydney (often mentioned in this blog) had a roommate that was moving out of this room on August 7th. So, being the proactive go getter I am (ha!), I called NYU and told them that my friends roommate was moving out and i desperately needed to change due to the heat. Thankfully, they accomodated and now I live with my friend Cydney in AIR CONDITIONING!!! i actually woke up last night FREEZING! can you believe it!? so great.
well thats all. i miss everyone and sadly, im running out of things to do. I just have to go to a Yankee Game and I'll be set. I also wanna go to Fenway to see the Red Sox but tickets are getting pretty expensive. I'll fill you in on all the fun new stuff I do though :) BYE
No comments:
Post a Comment